United Nations Member States agree on themes for 2023 Water Conference
United Nations Member States have agreed on five themes for the UN 2023 Water Conference. The themes are as follows:
- Water for Health: Access to WASH, including the Human Rights to Safe Drinking Water and Sanitation (SDG 6.1, 6.2, 6.3 and SDGs 1, 3, 4, 5, 17).
- Water for Sustainable Development: Valuing Water, Water-Energy-Food Nexus and Sustainable Economic and Urban Development (SDG 6.3, 6.4, 6.5 and SDGs 2, 8, 9, 11, 12).
- Water for Climate, Resilience and Environment: Source to Sea, Biodiversity, Climate, Resilience and Disaster Risk Reduction (SDGs 6.5, 6.6, 7, 11.5, 13, 14, 15).
- Water for Cooperation: Transboundary and International Water Cooperation, Cross Sectoral Cooperation, including Scientific Cooperation, and Water Across the 2030 Agenda (SDG 6.5, 6.b and SDGs 16, 17).
- Water Action Decade: Accelerating the Implementation of the Objectives of the Decade, Including through the UN Secretary-General’s Action Plan.
The UN 2023 Water Conference takes place in March and feature an opening and closing ceremony, six plenary meetings and five multi-stakeholder interactive dialogues. It will also feature a number of high-level special events and side events organized by Member States, the UN system and other stakeholders.
The UN 2023 Water Conference is part of the International Decade for Action on Water for Sustainable Development.