Stories – with embedded narrative theology
- Bookless, Dave. God Doesn’t do Waste: Redeeming the Whole of Life, Nottingham, IVP, 2010 (The story of one family and of A Rocha UK’s beginnings in multiracial London)
- Harris, Peter. Under the Bright Wings, Vancouver: Regent Publishing, 2000 (The beautifully written story of how A Rocha began in Portugal in the 1980s)
- Harris, Peter. Kingfisher’s Fire: A Story of Hope for God’s World. Oxford: Monarch, 2008
(A Rocha’s growth from a single project to a global movement)
- Kostamo, Leah. Planted: A Story of Creation, Calling and Community Eugene: OR, Wifp & Stock, 2013 (The story of A Rocha Canada told beautifully and honestly)
- Naylor, Chris. Postcards from the Middle-East: How Our Family Fell in Love with the Arab World. Oxford: Lion, 2015 (Much more than, but including, the story of A Rocha Lebanon!)
Biblical Basis – good places to start:
- Bookless, Dave. Planetwise: Dare to Care for God’s World. Nottingham, IVP, 2008. (Also available as e-book and in Chinese, Dutch, French, German translations).
- Bouma-Prediger, Steven. For the Beauty of the Earth: A Christian Vision for Creation Care. Grand Rapids, MI: Baker Academic, 2001.
- Gnanakan, K. God’s World: A Theology of the Environment. London, SPCK. 1999. A good text by an Indian theologian and former Langham scholar.
- Marlow, Hilary. The Earth Is the Lord’s: A Biblical Response to Environmental Issues. Cambridge: Grove Books, 2008.
- Moo, Douglas & Moo, Jonathan, Creation Care: A Biblical Theology of the Natural World, Grand Rapids, MI: Zondervan, 2018 (The new standard textbook – excellent!)
- Valerio, Ruth, Saying Yes to Life, SPCK 2020 (Archbishop of Canterbury’s 2020 Lent Book, with associated video resources, based on Genesis 1)
- Webb, Bryony & Sleigh, Charlotte, God’s Green Book, SPCK 2010, £8.99. Series of well-crafted and enjoyable – but very challenging – group bible studies on caring for creation.
- Wilson, Jonathan, God’s Good World: Reclaiming the Doctrine of Creation. Grand Rapids, MI: Baker Academic, 2013
- Wright, N. T. Surprised by Hope. London, SPCK / New York, HarperOne, 2008.
Biblical Theology – going deeper:
- Bauckham, Richard. Living with Other Creatures: Green Exegesis and Theology. Waco, TX: Baylor University Press, 2011.
- Bauckham, Richard. Bible and Ecology: Recovering the Community of Creation. London: DLT, 2010.
- Bookless, D., ‘Let everything that has breath praise the Lord’: The Bible and biodiversity, Cambridge Papers, Vol. 23 No. 3, Jubilee Centre, 2014 Available freely to download from: http://www.jubilee-centre.org/bible-and-biodiversity
- Bookless, D., The Earthly Jesus and the Cosmic Christ, KLICE Working Papers, Kirby Laing Institute for Christian Studies, Cambridge, 2016 Available to download freely from: http://klice.co.uk/uploads/Working%20Papers/WP1%20Bookless.pdf
- Brueggemann, W. The Land: Place and Gift, Promise and Challenge in Biblical Faith. 2nd ed. Minneapolis, MN: Fortress Press, 2002.
- Conradie, Ernst M., ed. Creation and Salvation Volume 1: A Mosaic of Selected Classic Christian Theologies, Studies in Religion and the Environment, vol. 5. Zurich: Lit Verlag GMBH, 2012.
- Conradie, Ernst M., ed. Creation and Salvation Volume 2: A Companion on Recent Theological Movements, Studies in Religion and the Environment, vol. 6. Zurich: Lit Verlag GMBH, 2012.
- Davis, Ellen F. Scripture, Culture, and Agriculture: An Agrarian Reading of the Bible. Cambridge: CUP, 2009.
- Isaac, Munther, From Land to Lands, from Eden to the Renewed Earth, Carlisle: Langham, 2015 A powerful biblical exegesis on land from a Palestinian Christian.
- Khua Hnin Thang, R. The Theology of the Land in Amos 7-9. Carlisle, Langham Partnership, 2014 Good biblical theology from Myanmar / Burma.
- Middleton, J. Richard. The Liberating Image: The Imago Dei in Genesis 1. Grand Rapids: Brazos, 2005.
- Middleton, J. Richard. A New Heaven and a New Earth: Reclaiming Biblical Eschatology. Grand Rapids: Baker, 2014.
- Moltmann, Jürgen. God in Creation: A New Theology of Creation and the Spirit of God. Minneapolis, MN: Fortress Press, 1993.
- Swoboda, A. J. Tongues and Trees: Toward a Pentecostal Ecological Theology. Journal of Pentecostal Theology Supplement 40. Blandford Forum, UK: Deo, 2014. Important work from leading Pentecostal eco-theologian. PhD thesis this was based on available from http://etheses.bham.ac.uk/3003/1/Swoboda11PhD.pdf
- White, Robert S., and Moo, Jonathan. Hope in an Age of Despair: The Gospel and the Future of Life on Earth. Nottingham: IVP, 2013.
- Wirzba, Norman. Food and Faith: A Theology of Eating. New York: Cambridge University Press, 2011.
- Wright, N. T. New Heavens, New Earth: The Biblical Picture of Christian Hope. Cambridge: Grove Publishing, 1999.
- White, R. S. and C. Bell, (eds.). Creation Care and the Gospel: Reconsidering the Mission of the Church. Hendrickson, Peabody, MA, 2016. The official Lausanne creation care book – with contributions and case studies from around the world, several from A Rocha.
- Bliss, Lowell. Environmental Missions: Planting Churches and Trees. Pasadena, CA: William Carey Library Publishers, 2013.
- Bookless, David. “Christian Mission and Environmental Issues: An Evangelical Reflection.” Mission Studies 25, (2008).
- Daneel, Inus. “Earthkeeping in Missiological Perspective: An African Challenge.” Mission Studies 13 (1996): 1-2.
- DeWitt, C. B., and Bookless, David. “To Strive to Safeguard the Integrity of Creation and Sustain and Renew the Life of the Earth.” In Mission in the Twenty-First Century: Exploring the Five Marks of Global Mission, edited by A. Walls and C. Ross, 84-104. London: DLT, 2008.
- Gould, David, ed. Missional Creation Care. Vol. 9.1, Mission Round Table. SIngapore: OMF International Ltd., 2014.(available online at https://c.ymcdn.com/sites/members.echocommunity.org/resource/collection/F6FFA3BF-02EF-4FE3-B180-F391C063E31A/FOR_EC_MRTVol9-No1_Missional_Creation_Care.pdf)
- Kaoma, J., Ed. Creation Care in Christian Mission. Edinburgh Centenary Series. Regnum Books, Oxford, 2016.. An African editor and contributions from right across the world – great theological and denominational breadth.
- Simiyu, Stella, and Peter Harris. Caring for Creation: Part of Our Gospel Calling? Grove Ethics. Cambridge: Grove Books, 2008.
Practice & Ethics
- Fountain, Dan, Let’s Restore Our Land: Church and Community Leaders Working Together to Restore the Land, ECHO Inc., 2016 available as e-book; written from African context.
- Hodson, M. and M. J. Hodson, Cherishing the Earth: How to Care for God’s Creation Oxford, Monarch (2008). Covers bible, science and practical advice.
- Nkansah-Obrempong, J. Foundations for African Theological Ethics. Carlisle, Langham Partnership, 2013. Good chapter on environmental ethics.
- Sorley, Craig, Farming that brings glory to God and hope to the hungry, Doorlight Publications, 2011. Written by American who’s worked long-term in Kenya ‘Farming God’s Way’
- Valerio, Ruth, L is for Lifestyle: Christian Living that Doesn’t cost the Earth, IVP, 2008. Really practical A-Z of ethical lifestyle issues for western consumers.
- Valerio, Ruth, Just Living: Faith and Community in an Age of Consumerism, Hodder, 2017. Excellent thoughtful and practical book, particularly useful in a European context.
- Wiggins, Mike, CEDRA: Climate change and Environmental Degradation Risk and adaptation Assessment, Tearfund UK, 2012 (2nd) Excellent tool, mainly developed in Africa, and available online from http://tilz.tearfund.org/en/themes/environment_and_climate/cedra
Web-Based Resources on Environmental Issues:
Useful online videos / presentations:
- ‘Earthkeeping: A Climate for Change’ (25 mins.) Dr Katharine Hayhoe on Climate Change: http://www.arocha.ca/climate-for-change
- ‘Why Should Christians Care for Creation’ (15 mins, with theologians and scientists): http://www.arocha.org/en/resources/a-rocha-why-should-christians-care-for-creation
- ‘God’s word to the Church’ (45 mins) Dave Bookless on the biblical basis for creation care: http://www.arocha.org/en/resources/gods-word-to-the-church-by-dave-bookless
- ‘Ecological Hope in Crisis’ (60 mins) Prof. Richard Bauckham https://www.faraday.st-edmunds.cam.ac.uk/Multimedia.php
Creation Care: A Biblical Theology of the Natural World (Biblical Theology for Life) by Douglas Moo and Jonathan Moo
Under the Bright Wings by Peter Harris
Kingfisher’s Fire: A Story Of Hope For God’s Earth by Peter Harris
The Bible and Ecology: Rediscovering the Community of Creation (Sarum Theological Lectures) by Richard Baukham
Living With Other Creatures by Richard Baukham
For the Beauty of the Earth: A Christian Vision for Creation Care (Engaging Culture) by Stephen Bouma-Prediger
Earthkeeping and Character: Exploring a Christian Ecological Virtue Ethic by Stephen Bouma-Prediger
The Unsettling of America: Culture & Agriculture by Wendell Berry
The World-Ending Fire: The Essential Wendell Berry (essays)
The Gift of Good Land by Wendell Berry
The Art of Commonplace by Wendell Berry
Another Turn of the Crank by Wendell Berry
Planted by Leah Kostamo
From Nature to Creation by Norman Wirzba
Food and Faith: A Theology of Eating by Norman Wirzba
Our Father’s World: Mobilizing the Church to Care for Creation by Ed Brown
The Liberating Image: The Imago Dei in Genesis 1 by J. Richard Middleton
Surprised by Hope: Rethinking Heaven, the Resurrection, and the Mission of the Church by N.T. Wright
The Mission of God: Unlocking the Bible’s Grand Narrative by Christopher J. H. Wright
Postcards from the Middle East: How Our Family Fell in Love with the Arab World by Chris Naylor
Creation Care and the Gospel: Reconsidering the Mission of the Church by Lausanne Movement
Tongues and Trees: Towards a Pentecostal Ecological Theology by A.J. Swoboda
Words for a Dying World: Stories of Grief and Courage from the Global Church by Hannah Malcolm
Saving Us: A Climate Scientist’s Case for Hope and Healing in a Divided World by Katharine Hayhoe
Pollution and the Death of Man: The Christian View of Ecology by Francis Schaeffer
Shalom and the Community of Creation: An Indigenous Vision by Randy Woodley
Replenishing the Earth: Spiritual Values for Healing Ourselves and the World by Wangari Maathai
Just Living: Faith and Community in an Age of Consumerism by Ruth Valerio
God’s Gardeners: Creation Care Stories from Singapore and Malaysia by Melissa Ong
Living Radical Discipleship: Inspired by John Stott
John Stott on Creation Care edited by Laura Yoder and R. J. “”Sam”” Berry
Planetwise: Dare to Care For God’s World by Dave Bookless
God Doesn’t Do Waste: Redeeming the Whole of Life by Dave Bookless